Tree Generator is software for creating 3D trees. You can then export them in a .dxf file into your favorite raytracer, or include it in your best nature scenes.
The tree can be exported in .DXF .3DS format (for Autocad, 3DSMax.... and most 3D modelers and raytracers) and in .TGF format (Tree Generator File: save all parameters - Only in registered version). There are 4 different 'rendering' methods:
- Lines : for slow computers : it only shows the "skeleton" of the tree.
- Wireframe : It shows the "skin" of the tree.
- Shaded : It shows the "colored skin" of the tree. It can be slow if there are lots of polygons.
- Shaded+Wireframe : It helps you see polygons shape and the shape of the tree (can be slow too). Moreover, you can add a colored background using "Options"->"Display options"
requirements so that productivity can jump to new levels once the artist is fully established in the Modo environment.
Trees are defined by parameters that affect 3 "children branches" each time a branch is generated. And the generation last until "iterations" is reached.
- Iterations: you can just create a tree with only 1, or 2 levels of branches, but you can also create a tree with up to 8 levels of branches : each branch has 3 children branches, and that, up to 8 times. The random ability: you can create a tree with sometimes 2, or sometimes 8 levels of branches.. Simply give 2 as fixed value, and 6 as random value...
- Trunk size : initial size of the tree...
- conicity : a high value will make branches reduce a lot. A conicity of 1.3 or 1.5 will make your tree look more natural (you can also specify a random value).
- Irregularity: the term isn't really appropriate... It means that an "irregularity" of 1.0 will set the child branch at the end of its parent, an irregularity of 2.0 will set it at the half of its parent, and an irregularity of 0.5 will make your tree "explode"... There are 3 irregularity options: one for each child branch. There is also a random ability.
- Reduction : In nature, last created branches are smaller (they haven't had time to grow). In Tree Generator, it can be the same: a reduction value of 2.0 will make the child branch half as long as its parent, a reduction value of 1.0 will make all branches in the tree at the same size etc... There are 3 reduction values : one for each child branch. There is also a random ability.